Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Old Woman Who Lived in Her Shoe

It is a sunny but chilly day in Paris. I am thankful for my full length down coat with the fur collar! We have now been living in this hotel long enough that the bartender knows me by name and worse, has my order ready for me as soon as I sit down! He asked me if I “lived” here earlier today… I replied “more champagne s’il vous plait”. It is totally true…drunk and homeless is much better than sober and homeless.

We went to take money out of the ATM yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised that my card didn’t start smoking. There was a homeless man sitting next to the bank with a Chihuahua under his coat. My roommate, Lindsey, told me to watch her back. I told her that we should just tell him that we are homeless too and might consider befriending him seeing as he had a heated vent and a dog. Oh if only I could really be the old woman who lived in her shoes (or her over-the-knee patent leather studded stiletto boots!).

We started classes yesterday. It pains me to report that the subway here is no more reliable than New Jersey Transit. The real kicker is that, unlike NJ Transit, when the conductor comes on to say that we have broken down, I can’t understand a word that he is saying and therefore cannot react appropriately. Instead I frantically survey the faces of the other passengers to decipher if it is a good message or bad. But let’s be honest, the conductor never comes over the speaker and says “The train is working beautifully. We are traveling at maximum speed and will have you at your destination ahead of schedule.” Commuting eats it worldwide.

My fiancĂ©, Dan, has informed me that my blog has six followers and I should feel super “famous” as none of them are my family members. It made me a giggle a little seeing as I have no interest in being a famous blogger (on second thought, can you get paid for that?) and the only reason why my family members aren’t official followers is because they probably can’t figure out how to be. I do LOVE all of the comments from family and friends – they made me laugh and miss you all even more! Keep’em coming! I might have to attach a PayPal link for all those of you requesting fabulous Parisian footwear. DISCLAIMER: your money might be spent on crepes.

Au revoir,
The Chubbiest American in Paris

2 comments:

  1. To my homeless drunk daughter in Paris. You will be surprised to learn the following facts:

    1. I am a family member who can and has figured out how to comment on your blog...surprise...but you can still tell all...I am dying to hear all the scandalous details from the City of Lights!

    2. I also wear a size 9 but would prefer a pair of low top Converse sneakers in red as I have never owned a pair of red shoes...and these would be my first. Is 55 too late to go Bohemiam?

    3. Champagne for breakfast...oooh la la!

    4. I have always told you not to speak to strangers especially homeless men hanging out at the local ATM. Happy to know you are still listening to me.

    5. Re: announcements on NJ Transit trains...they were always in English but I could never understand them.

    6. I love you and am very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) You shouldn't make fun of people that don't know how to comment. It has now taken me over 24 hours and a dozen attempts to figure this thing out.

    2) I didn't know Jen Gianis wore shoes.

    ReplyDelete