Saturday, January 9, 2010

I see London...I see France...

Happy weekend! It is my first “real” Saturday in Paris!! And by “real” I mean not living in a Holiday Inn-esqe hotel room. So much to report in just two short days…I feel like I am failing my loyal followers by not filling them in on the yummy details of my day!

I joined a gym in Paris! I know many of you are probably shaking your heads right now in judgment of my decision, but I am teetering on the buttery, flaky edge of a larger pant size. I walked past the entrance of Club Med a few times before making the decision to enter. It looks a bit like a trendy discotech from the outside – bright white lights, electric orange and lime green splashed all over the walls. When I finally walked in and feasted my eyes on the tasty snack behind the counter, I was sold. If anyone can transform me into The Biggest Loser, it is Jean Claude. It was pricey, but worth it. Just taking an hour out of my morning to run on the treadmill makes me feel like me again. It helps me to focus and feel normal. I don’t have to worry about metro stations and schoolwork and not knowing what anyone is saying. For that one hour, I am an American girl.

I warn you…this next paragraph is a little risqué and should probably be categorized as PG-13. But it is part of my Parisian adventure and therefore must be told. Let’s just put it this way… after walking into the locker room at Club Med, the song should be rewritten “I see London, I see France, no one is wearing underpants.” At first I was a little taken aback. I swiveled my head, frantically trying to find a corner or dressing room or exit! Then I stopped myself. I inhaled. I exhaled. No one knows me here. I don’t even speak the language. They can judge my butt, but that’s ok because they will only see it for the next three months. That is correct…this American girl took it ALL off in the Club Med locker room. And damn it felt good.

My roommate and I met up with some of our Essec classmates for lunch, rugby (watch, not play) and shopping today. My classmates are from all over the world – the U.S., Canada, Ireland, Japan, Mexico. While each person had a different goal in coming to Paris, we all share a common interest in travel and a desire to fall in love with the city. It is a smart, eclectic, and worldly group of students. We laughed and laughed about the quirky, but endearing Parisian way of life over lunch. Did you know that “Wha-La” is not just a term that magicians use when they pull a rabbit out of their hat? The French use it whenever they don’t have anything else to say. “Wha-La here is your check.” “Wha-La get out of my way.” “Stupid American Wha-La.” Apparently the American guys are all struggling with the double cheek kiss greeting…especially when confronted with another guy. There is a lot of concern surrounding this issue. What if he goes left and I go right and we touch lips?? Boys are ridiculous. Nudie Gym Jen has no sympathy for these guys and their issues. When in France…

This American girl is about to squeeze into her skinny jeans for a night out on the town. Keep your fingers crossed that it begins with too much wine and ends with some gooey, decadent chocolate dessert! WHA-LA for now!!

12 comments:

  1. In a previously posted comment I mistakenly referred to Paris as The City of Lights. It is the City of Light and I stand corrected.

    Would love to see some pictures of your adventure in the above mentioned COL.

    May I suggest:

    1. Jean Claude (from the gym)
    2. you in a pair of lime green Converse high tops, a mini jean skirt and black tights standing in front of the Eiffel Tower...but not waiting in line
    3. a piece of frommage
    4. a piece of chocolat
    5. the view from your balcony
    6. anywhere and everywhere you go

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gym (I really mean trainer) sounds wonderful!! The gym I joined in Florence was perhaps the smelliest place I've ever been. I wish you better luck than that.

    I can't wait to hear how your first real Saturday Night in Paris goes!! Keep your shoes on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen,
    As usual I am typing for your RUR...he wants to know if everyone has a brazillian

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your mother....Do what she says! We think exactly alike!! Wha-la, Carol, Wha-la! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Jen,

    I just caught up on your blog - love it! I hope you're having a great time and staying warm. I was just in Argentina/Uruguay and EVERYONE was wearing high-top Cons (with skinny jeans). Mullets were also very "in" - is it the same in Paris?!?

    Keep sending pics!

    XOXO!

    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear RUR/Gamma Girl...it is not called a Brazilian in Paris (you know how the French despise foreigners and their mundane vocabulary). It is called a WHA-LA (notice the caps!) Jen...we await your report...get thee to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jen..looking forward to Sunday update...until then check out John Talbott's Paris blog on-line. The man knows his stuff and you can get lots of insider info re:where to go, eat, see etc. Tough to get a meal Sunday, consider Le Bistrot du Peintre in the 11th, 116 Ave Ledru-Rollin, metro Voltaire/Ledru-Rollin or for a cafe try La Patache (10th) 60 Rue de Lancry, metro Jacques-Bonsergent or Le Leche Vin (11th) 13 rue Daval, metro Bastille/ Breguet-Sabin. All near and all open Sunday. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daniel Rose, another American in Paris, opened a small restaurant, which closed to open in a larger location. Grande opening behind schedule, but he did open a food boutique..(new locale).rue de l’Arbre Sec in the 1st arrondissement -named Spring. I think he's from Chicago. Luxury goods for the stomach..if you are interested. He sells chocolate and wine, too

    ReplyDelete
  9. my favorite entry thus far.

    "Nudie Gym Jen has no sympathy for these guys and their issues. When in France...."

    amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your next post covers the Parisian Pout that you and Linsday discovered...

    -Peter

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading your blogs, I feel like I'm experiencing Paris, too ... keep your humor and spark for life :)

    ReplyDelete